Thursday, February 10, 2011

above and beyond


Awhile back, I realized that I had written about both Winter brothers within the span of a week: Johnny for a Wall Street Journal concert listing, and his brother Edgar for one of Wax Poetics's re:Discovery items. I'm not familiar with either albino, but Edgar's lone cosmic disco entry, "Above and Beyond" is ridiculously great track. It appears in the latest issue of the mag.
If that's not enough, the issue is a true bounty: stories about the Belleville Three (Derrick May, Juan Atkins, Kevin Saunderson), Ron Hardy's The Music Box, Wally Badarou, and Tom Moulton. Of special note is one of my all-time favorites, Hamilton Bohannon. It broke my heart to learn that another writer had unearthed the man before myself, but a feature on the Mighty Bohannon's influence on dance music is well worth it regardless.